The Urban School Herbst Library supports the school's philosophy of instilling in students a lifelong passion for learning. The mission of the Herbst Library is to ensure that students acquire research skills needed to succeed in their Urban courses and in college and beyond.
The library supports the distinctive Urban curriculum by providing a dynamic collection of primary source material, electronic resources and other resources not easily found at the local public libraries. We have dozens of online databases for research and exploration in all academic areas. Our library also houses thousands of books magazines, films and other assets.
- When can I come and get help?
- How do I borrow books or other materials?
- What can be borrowed by students?
- What can be borrowed by teachers?
- What can be borrowed by parents?
- Can I recommend a book or other item for the library to purchase?
- Can we eat lunch in the library?
Please check out all books with the self checkout kiosk in the library using your student ID. If you have a problem using the self checkout, visit or email the librarian for help.
If a book you want is out on loan, reserve it by logging into the library catalog.
- Books - Six week loan renewable
- Magazines - One day
- Audio tapes and audio CDs - one week
- Videos / DVDs - By request - one week
Return books in the Book Drop slot in the library office or in the self checkout kiosk. Please do not lend books to fellow students. If students need to use an item, please return it to library and have the student check it out in student's own name.
Fines: Fines are not charged. However, if a book is lost or not returned by the end of the term, the charge for the lost book is the replacement cost, plus a $10 processing fee.
- Books - Six week loan, renewable
- Reference - Overnight loan
- Magazines - Two week loan
- Tapes - Four week loan
- Videos (VHS and DVD) - One week loan
- CDs - Overnight loan
Longer use of any materials may be arranged by special request.
Please check out all items. If the librarian is not available, please email the librarian the title of the item taken.