A LONG- ANTICIPATED PROJECT:
URBAN’S PERFORMING ARTS AND COMMUNITY CENTER
A Brief History: More than twenty years ago, Urban’s enrollment was only half of what it is today, and the school already recognized that it would need more space. A burgeoning performing arts program was stretching the 90-seat Gumption theater to its limits; classrooms were in increasingly short supply; the St. Agnes gym was too small; and there was no comfortable gathering space for a whole range of assemblies and presentations. Paired with this recognition was a firm (and continuing) commitment to our current location and the belief that Urban’s unique culture and energy thrive in an intimate, self-contained campus.
It took some time, but in 2012, the school committed to a creative, two-phase plan to address its facilities challenges and complete its campus plan. Step one was the creation of an academic and athletics facility (now the Salkind Center, completed in 2016); step two was repurposing the St Agnes gym. The design includes an additional 6,000 square feet in the basement as well as accessible pathways around the building to ease the flow between the Salkind Center and Page Campus.
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about the PACC project, but please don’t hesitate to be in touch if you have others.
- What is the rough timeline for the project?
- Will the basic school schedule remain the same?
- Will any classes need to be moved?
- How will people travel between the Salkind Center and Page Campus during construction, and when will this begin?
- Will there be a construction trailer on Page Street?
- Where is the weight room that was previously in St. Agnes?
- How will athletics be impacted?
- Will construction noise be an issue inside the school buildings?
- Has there been an impact on drop-off/pick up and construction deliveries?
- Pedestrian safety and security?
- Is the Salkind Center garage impacted during construction?
- What is the seating capacity of the PACC?
- What is the size of the PACC?
- What are some of the performance-specific elements in the PACC?
- Will all the performing arts faculty have offices in the PACC?
- What will/will not happen to the (beloved!) Gumption Theater?
- Where will the fitness center end up after the construction is completed?
- Will the PACC be available to outside organizations?