Learning Support Services
The Urban School is committed to supporting all students, however differently they may learn. Urban’s approach combines the best teaching practices with up-to-date technology and a range of support services, all in recognition of the school’s mission to ignite a passion for learning for all our students.
Best practices incorporate traditional techniques – models, a consistent classroom routine, study guides for tests – with new approaches, such as electronic voice files in language classes and use of animation in science classes. At Urban, best practices are common practice, not accommodations. All students benefit when teachers provide assignments orally and in writing, or break large assignments into manageable pieces with interim deadlines.
As a laptop school, Urban’s use of technology benefits all kinds of learners. In addition to the many tools available on every student’s laptop – voice capability for listening to text, Inspiration software for writing and online conferences where teachers posts assignments – all classrooms are wired for sound and projection. All students are provided graphing calculators for use in math classes, and SmartBoards have replaced classroom whiteboards, enabling teachers to post class notes online.
Urban also has a host of support services available to all students, including:
- Math Café: daily lunchtime help with a math teacher
- Multiple weekly study periods during which students can consult with teachers
- Writing, reading and study skills support with the Learning Services Coordinator
- Social-emotional support with the School Counselor
- Audio, video and digital library
- Individualized academic advising
- Peer tutoring
- Referrals to outside tutors and learning specialists
Examples of accommodations for students diagnosed with a learning disability include:
- Extended time on school and standardized tests
- Testing in a quiet place, such as the library
- Extra breaks during testing
- On-site standardized testing for students with special accommodations, such as laptop use
For more information, please review our Learning Support Frequently Asked Questions.