The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The educational philosophy and programs emphasize learning as a joyful process of discovery; use of city and Bay Area resources to extend learning beyond the classroom; mutual respect and a strong rapport between students and teachers; and a firm commitment to an inclusive and diverse school community.
Urban is an equal opportunity employer. The school has an institutional commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Current Open Positions
2017-18 School Year
Classification: Temporary Exempt Instructional Support
Schedule: 4 days/week, November 20, 2017 - May 4, 2018
Reports To: Academic Dean
The temporary librarian is responsible for managing the library program. Primary responsibilities include collaborating with faculty to provide support for the curriculum, working with students to ensure they acquire searching skills, and overseeing the library and its collection. The temporary librarian reports directly to the Academic Dean.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Collaborates with teachers on research projects and the creation of research guides to support specific curricular needs.
- Provides instruction for students in information literacy skills, through both formal classes and individual instruction.
- Assessing and promoting effective student use of library resources and information technology.
- Provides reference services to students, faculty, and staff.
- Support a lifelong love of reading amongst students.
Development and management of resources and facility
- Maintains a collection of print and electronic sources.
- Maintains the library catalog, book circulation, library website, and library research guides.
- Administers the budget in conjunction with the Academic Dean and the Chief Financial Officer. Pays bills to vendors in a timely manner.
- Supervises and directs parent volunteers whose work supports the library program.
- Manages magazine subscriptions and routing.
- Works with the assistant librarian to ensure needs of library users are being met.
- Participates in the activities of the broader Urban School community.
The ideal candidate will have:
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or comparable experience
- Experience working with and enjoyment of high school students
- Broad knowledge of young adult literature
- Fluency in using and teaching information literacy skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
This job operates in a professional educational environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and lifting is required. This would require the ability to lift files up to 40 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
This temporary position offers only medical benefits as required by law.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: Geoff Ruth, Academic Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.