The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The educational philosophy and programs emphasize learning as a joyful process of discovery; use of city and Bay Area resources to extend learning beyond the classroom; mutual respect and a strong rapport between students and teachers; and a firm commitment to an inclusive and diverse school community.
Urban is an equal opportunity employer. The school has an institutional commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Assistant Director of Admissions
The Urban School of San Francisco, a coeducational, secondary independent day school of 380 students, is seeking a full-time Assistant Director of Admissions, effective July 1, 2013.
The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The educational philosophy and programs emphasize learning as a joyful process of discovery; use of city and Bay Area resources to extend learning beyond the classroom; mutual respect and a strong rapport between students and teachers; and a firm commitment to an inclusive and diverse school community. For further information on Urban’s mission and programs, please visit our website at www.urbanschool.org.
The Assistant Director of Admissions works with the Director of Admissions and the Admissions Associate & Outreach Coordinator in the planning and implementation of all activities related to the recruitment and selection of students at The Urban School. The Assistant Director is supervised by the Director of Admissions.
The expectations for the Assistant Director of Admissions’ participation and responsibilities are as follows:
- Planning, implementing and overseeing the Applicant Visit Program which includes, but is not limited to: scheduling applicant visits, training and coordinating student tour guides, and welcoming and hosting visitors while on campus
- Coordinating and overseeing the planning and execution of admissions events, including but not restricted to: fall Open Houses, fall Bay Area High School Fairs, special interviewing days, and a Spring Freshmen Welcome, all of which take place on weekends or weekday evenings
- Interviewing prospective students
- Coordinating student and parent volunteers for all admissions events
- Representing the school during off-campus visits to Bay Area middle schools and community organizations to educate prospective students about The Urban School
- Reading and assessing student applications
- Providing office and clerical support
- Assisting the Director of Admissions and the Director of Communications with the design, editing, and production of admission materials
- Special Requirements
Ability to type and sit for long periods; ability to listen and transcribe notes;
ability to lift and carry 35 pounds
Candidates should possess a high level of integrity, impeccable organizational skills, enthusiasm for working with middle and high school students, and effective public speaking skills. In addition, candidates must have superior office administration skills, work effectively both individually and as a member of a team, and have a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize projects. Lastly, candidates should be self-motivated, energetic, friendly, easily approachable, and able to work with a diverse group of people. Previous experience in secondary school admissions is strongly preferred.
Salary will be competitive based on experience and qualifications. A comprehensive benefits package is provided, which includes medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance and the TIAA-CREF retirement program.
The Urban School is an equal opportunity employer with an institutional commitment to diversity; the school actively encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Applicants should submit a resume and letter of interest via email (strongly preferred) to: email@example.com
or via regular mail to:
Bobby Ramos, Director of Admissions
The Urban School of San Francisco
1563 Page Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
No phone calls, please.