The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The educational philosophy and programs emphasize learning as a joyful process of discovery; use of city and Bay Area resources to extend learning beyond the classroom; mutual respect and a strong rapport between students and teachers; and a firm commitment to an inclusive and diverse school community.
Urban is an equal opportunity employer. The school has an institutional commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Current Open Positions
2017-18 School Year
Part-Time Interim Development Associate
Classification: Temporary Exempt Instructional Support
Schedule: 4 days/week, November 20, 2017 - May 4, 2018
Reports To: Academic Dean
The temporary librarian is responsible for managing the library program. Primary responsibilities include collaborating with faculty to provide support for the curriculum, working with students to ensure they acquire searching skills, and overseeing the library and its collection. The temporary librarian reports directly to the Academic Dean.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Collaborates with teachers on research projects and the creation of research guides to support specific curricular needs.
- Provides instruction for students in information literacy skills, through both formal classes and individual instruction.
- Assessing and promoting effective student use of library resources and information technology.
- Provides reference services to students, faculty, and staff.
- Support a lifelong love of reading amongst students.
Development and management of resources and facility
- Maintains a collection of print and electronic sources.
- Maintains the library catalog, book circulation, library website, and library research guides.
- Administers the budget in conjunction with the Academic Dean and the Chief Financial Officer. Pays bills to vendors in a timely manner.
- Supervises and directs parent volunteers whose work supports the library program.
- Manages magazine subscriptions and routing.
- Works with the assistant librarian to ensure needs of library users are being met.
- Participates in the activities of the broader Urban School community.
The ideal candidate will have:
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or comparable experience
- Experience working with and enjoyment of high school students
- Broad knowledge of young adult literature
- Fluency in using and teaching information literacy skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
This job operates in a professional educational environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and lifting is required. This would require the ability to lift files up to 40 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
This temporary position offers only medical benefits as required by law.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: Geoff Ruth, Academic Dean at email@example.com.
Part-Time, Interim Development Associate
Classification: Part-time, Temporary, Non-exempt
Schedule: 28 hours/week, November 20, 2017 - May 4, 2018
Reports to: Director of Development
The Urban School of San Francisco seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented and energetic individual to cover a maternity leave and provide comprehensive support for all aspects of a dynamic Development Department. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Enter all gifts into the School’s donor database, Raiser’s Edge.
- Update all constituent information in database.
- Process, acknowledge and file all gifts and pledges in an accurate and timely manner.
- Generate pledge reminders.
- Produce exports and mail merges for all fundraising campaigns and special events.
- Coordinate production and logistics of solicitations and stewardship mailings.
- Generate weekly and monthly reports for the Business Office; reconcile donations with
Business Office on an ongoing basis.
Special Events (5%)
- Provide support to Development staff to organize and implement the annual auction and other special events.
- Manage inventory and ordering, if needed, of UrbanWear.
- Provide general assistance to the members of the Development staff, and participate in
other Development Office and school-wide activities as requested.
- Assist when needed with school phone coverage and reception.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least two years of relevant office experience required; familiarity with educational institutions preferred.
- Act as a partner within Development team, demonstrating a collaborative nature and collective ownership of overall team goals and objectives.
- Database management experience required, preferably with Raiser’s Edge.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and judgment; high level of professionalism.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize, plan and follow through on tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete multiple tasks on time.
- Proven ability to work well within a team and independently.
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of clerical responsibilities.
- Discretion in handling confidential information.
Physical Demands/Special Requirements
- Some nights and weekends required.
- Ability to view and operate a computer frequently and consistently
- Ability to type and sit for long periods.
- Ability to lift and carry 35 pounds.
- Valid California Driver’s License.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: Anna Lee, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.