The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The educational philosophy and programs emphasize learning as a joyful process of discovery; use of city and Bay Area resources to extend learning beyond the classroom; mutual respect and a strong rapport between students and teachers; and a firm commitment to an inclusive and diverse school community.
Urban is an equal opportunity employer. The school has an institutional commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Current Open Positions
2017-18 School Year
Part-Time Choral Music Accompanist
Part-time Chamber Music Instructor
Classification: Non-Exempt, Part-Time, 12-Month Staff
Reports to: Office and Logistics Manager
The Urban School, a nationally-recognized independent high school of 418 students and 80 faculty and staff, seeks a part-time receptionist to begin on or around August 1, 2017. Hours are typically from 11AM-5PM, with some additional hours as necessary.
The receptionist will fulfill the following duties:
- Answer main phone line, greet guests, monitor and respond to messages in the “Front Desk” shared email account
- Maintain sign-in binder
- Create badges for visitors and Admissions related events
- Create guest network passwords
- Assist with visitor/interviewee sign-in during Admissions season
- Sell tickets for School plays and other shows
- Assist substitute teachers with sign-in, attendance, printing schedules/rosters, etc.
- Supervise and record student sign in/out
- Provide attendance updates as requested
- Update calendar information on the School’s internal and external calendar
- Be knowledgeable about the School’s schedule and all School events
- Update the daily digital display
- Sort and distribute incoming mail
- Receive and process deliveries to and from the School, serving as the primary liaison for incoming and outgoing UPS
- Label and maintain mailboxes, as needed
- Prepare outgoing mail for 3pm pickup by the Security/Crossing Guard
- Maintain copiers and postage machines, coordinate service as needed
- Order office supplies and maintain workroom for Page Street; coordinate office supplies and workroom maintenance with Oak Street receptionist
- Issue work permits
- Work with office team to create student IDs and School facebook
- Update Student Handbook as requested
- Coordinate student IOUs, battery sales
- Coordinate annual updates to cell list, license plates, extension list with Registrar, sports rosters, club list, etc.
- Order and maintain hospitality/break room supplies
- Provide clerical support as requested, including but not limited to, creation of labels, folders, mailings, forms; relaying Facility requests
- Order, track, and sell BART Tickets and Marin bus tickets
- Maintain transportation shuttle ridership list, sell single tickets and ticket books
- Coordinate East Bay shuttle riders and Accounting
- Enforce afternoon white zone hours
Ad hoc duties as requested including but limited to:
- Create Library Cards
- Assist with Scheduling for Winter Festival
- Provide flex coverage at Oak Street reception as needed
Physical Demands during essential functions:
- Sitting continuously (up to 6 hours per day)
- Reaching at or below shoulders frequently (2 ½ – 5 hours per day)
- Bending, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching above shoulders occasionally (under 2 ½ hours per day)
- Ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds
A comprehensive benefits package is provided, which includes medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance and the TIAA retirement plan.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “receptionist” in the subject heading of your email.
Part-Time Choral Music Accompanist
The Urban School of San Francisco seeks a choral music accompanist to assist with the school chorus’ rehearsals and performances.
The Urban Singers is a 50 person student chorus that rehearses for one hour three times each week, usually Tuesday at 8 a.m., Wednesday at 10:30 a.m., and Thursday at 1:45 p.m. However, there is some variability in the timing of rehearsals, if always scheduled well in advance. The Urban Singers perform Winter and Spring Concerts in December and May as well as several other outreach concerts.
In the Choral Music Accompanist we are seeking an excellent rehearsal pianist and a strong complement to the Choral Music Director. Sight-reading skills and thorough preparation for rehearsals and performances are required. Professional rehearsal experience is a strong asset. Experience with choirs and voice-teaching are desirable as well.
The position will usually involve 5 hours of work per week, including preparation of music. Preparation for and performance at concerts will involve additional hours and be paid additionally. The accompanist position’s pay is hourly and contingent upon qualifications and experience.
The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. For further information about Urban’s mission and programs, including details about the Performing Arts curriculum, please visit our website at www.urbanschool.org.
If interested, please email cover letter, resume, and list of references to: email@example.com, noting “Accompanist” in the subject heading of your email.
Part-time Chamber Music Instructor
The Urban School of San Francisco seeks a music instructor to teach and conduct the Chamber Orchestra (both developing and experienced players). Candidates must have proficiency with a diversity of instruments, in particular strings, a deep knowledge of the classical canon, experience arranging music, and strong teaching and conducting skills. A degree in music and at least two years of experience teaching music are also desired.
Concerts and other performances occur several times throughout the year. The school is looking for an energetic, creative individual who has enthusiasm for working with high school students and a commitment to the continued growth of a dynamic music program. Familiarity with appropriate digital tools and resources is also strongly desired.
The Urban School strives to ignite a passion for learning and to inspire its students to become self-motivated, lifelong participants in their education and active citizens in their communities. The program includes a rich visual and performing arts curriculum with the opportunity for students and teachers to participate in San Francisco’s vibrant arts community. Please visit Urban’s website for further information about the school’s mission, curriculum, and culture: www.urbanschool.org
This part-time position includes the opportunity to participate extensively in the Urban’s teaching community, to collaborate with colleagues on curriculum development and pedagogy, and to benefit from Urban’s professional development program.
Compensation for this part-time position is DOE.
If interested, please email cover letter, resume, and list of references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Chamber Music” in the subject heading of your email.